Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cardio and Strength Training

The run with Women Run/Walk of Memphis got cancelled last night due to thunderstorms so I hit the 'mil last night. I was anxious to see how my calf muscles would do.

I started the 5 minute warm up at 3.5mph
The first 3 minute run I did 5mph and was feeling ok but I knew I was going to have to slow it down if I wanted to do all 10 runs
1 minute walk at 3mph
3 minute run 4.5mph and my calves started to burn so after I finished the run I jumped off to stretch them out
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute run 4 mph
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute run 4 mph had to jump off again to stretch out my calves
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute run 4 mph
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute run 4 mph
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute run 4 mph got of to stretch after that one. At least I did 3 runs this time
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute run 4 mph
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute run 4 mph
1 minute walk 3 mph
3 minute walk 4 mph last minute I bumped it up to 5 mph
1 minute walk 3.5 mph
5 minute cool down 2.8mph

Total Time 50 minutes Total Distance 3.02 miles

When I first started trying to run (over a year ago) I was getting this severe pain in my calves (much different then the pain I'm feeling now) and it didn't start until after I got new shoes. It got so bad that I stopped running.
When I started back again a few weeks ago that pain was starting to come back. The only way I know how to describe it is it would feel like there was a metal rod in my leg starting at the back of my ankle and going up to the top of my calf muscle. It hurt to touch it and hurt to walk/run. When I got my new shoes my first run with them (Saturday) that pain was immediately gone but was replaced with this new pain. It feels like an extremely sore muscle. Like if you had done an intense workout and only worked that one muscle.
Stretching it out makes it go away and it doesn't bother me when I'm not running. I'm hoping it's just a new shoe thing and that having new shoes is making me run different and therefor causing me to use a different muscle than I'm used to.
Josh made the comment last night that maybe I'm just not meant to be a runner. It would be a lie if I said that that thought hadn't crossed my mind. I'm just hoping that's not the case.

So this week I started doing my Turbo Jam DVD's to get some Cardio and Strength training

I've only done two days but boy are my obliques killing me. I LOVE turbo jam because almost every move engages your core.
My Awesome Aunt is working out with me so I made a schedule for us to follow
+ my 3 runs a week
I'm also trying to be more aware of whats going in my mouth so I downloaded an app called My Fitness Pal
Love Love Love this app. It has a barcode scanner to scan in your food. If its already in the data base (so far I haven't found anything that wasn't) it pulls up all the nutritional info and all you have to do is put in your serving. So cool. It also keeps up with your exercise and weight.
If you already have the app look me up my user name is EBob86 and we can help hold each accountable.


Hopefully next week I'll have some weight updates for you.



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I teach turbo kick ( the class version of turbo jam!) so much more fun than running! Ha... Been trying to make myself get into running too though!

    ReplyDelete