Wednesday, October 3, 2012

First and Milestones

First I want to say "Thank You" to everyone that commented, texted, messaged, emailed, and called about the incident yesterday. It means a lot to me to know you all care. You can click HERE to see the post if you missed it.

One of the text I got was from my good friend Ashley and she wanted me to come run with her and Marie at the Germantown Greenway. After making sure they wouldn't be leaving me in their dust I accepted the invitation. I had never run on the Greenway and was super excited to try it out. I was also excited to be running with friends.
The Greenway was BEAUTIFUL and the run was so enjoyable with all the great scenery

Ashley and Marie are training for the St. Jude half marathon and they run in splits. 8 Minutes Running/ 2 Minutes walking and were going to do 4 miles. Ashley told me before hand that they normally run at an 11:30 minute pace so even though it was at a faster pace than I normally do and half a mile longer than I'd ever gone I felt because they were doing splits I'd be able to keep up.
Ashley has a Garmin watch so she was keeping up with our time, distance, and pace and I never looked at my phone. We started off and I could tell I was going at a faster pace than I normally do and was glad we were going to get a two minute walk break. Ashley did a great job of coaching me through and keeping me encouraged.
We made it to the half way point of two miles and turned around and Ashley reminded me that I had to go four miles now. So it was up to me to decided if I'd be walking back by myself or if I'd continue at their pace. I'm not going to lie, a lot of my motivation was from not wanting to be left alone on the Greenway.
A small portion of the route we were on had some pretty intense hills and on the way back we hit them right around the time we should have started a walk break but decided to power through them so we could enjoy our walk on the other side of the hills. It wasn't easy but we dominated those hills...

Some time on the way back Ashley informed Marie and I that we had been running well under the 11:30 pace and even had one under 11:00. I was shocked that I had been able to stick with them. I was so excited when we finished! 4 miles completed and at my fastest running pace!

Here is what our splits looked like...

So all in all a great run! First time on the Greenway, Great friends, Furthest distance, and Fastest pace. Great end to a day that started off so bad



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment